Monday, December 22, 2014

Chicken and Homemade Noodles

This is one of the most popular recipes in our household. It's delicious, simple, and I love that it is very cost-effective. My Mom compares it to meals served at Cracker Barrel.









You will need:
2 large chicken breasts
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 large egg
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp onion powder
Garlic salt
1 cup of flour
EVOO




First let's start with the noodles.

You can certainly buy store bought fettuccine if that is easier for you, but I like to make mine from scratch. It's much healthier, it's cost-effective and it's super easy!

You do not need a food processor for this, you can use a KitchenAid, a bowl and spoon, or (in true Italian fashion) your bare hands! But for ease and speed of cleanup, I am using the food processor.

Crack open that egg into the food processor and add a cup of flour. Start processing! While it's going, I add a splash of EVOO.




 Once it's combined (usually only takes a few seconds) it will look like little crumbles but still be tacky. Here is where I fail because I can't find a picture of this... sigh. But really, it only takes a few moments to get there.

Scoop it out with your hands and mash it into a ball.





You now have some simple pasta dough! 

Flour your work surface and a rolling pin and let's roll this baby out!






Just get it fairly smooth and try to keep it rectangular in shape, not round like a pie crust.

Enter the Norpro Pasta Machine!

I know, right? Shiiiiny...






You can get one here.

I paid around $35.00 for mine, but right now it's under $30.00. So snatch one up!

Put the crank in the main body of the machine and turn the dial to the thinnest setting, no. 1.



 Slip the end of your dough into the machine and get cranking!


Once you've gotten it through, fold it in half and run it through again. If your dough is too tacky, rub a little more flour on it.






Fold and run it through 2-3 times.



If it starts to get too wide, go ahead and cut it down the middle.



At some point in here, I get my pot of water going up to a boil. Salt the water generously!




The outside of my pot looks a mess. Let's pretend it's a beautiful, shiny pot, shall we?

After you've smooshed your dough out 2-3 times, we are going to turn our knobbie to the next smallest setting, no. 2.




That's a 2, I promise.

Go ahead and run it through once, and turn the knob again. This time to number 3. Run it through once.

I don't like to go too thin with this recipe. I prefer a nice thick and hearty noodle. So let's stop at setting no. 3.

Now move your crank into the fettuccine cutter.


Slip the end of the dough into the fettuccine cutter and start cranking!






Once I've gotten them all cut, I slice them into smaller pieces with a kitchen knife. Usually they want to stick together at this point, so to avoid tearing your noodles, sprinkle them generously with flour and shake it through. Go ahead and drop them in your boiling pot of water.


Fresh pasta only needs to boil for a minute and a half! Super fast, right? So don't walk away, you'll come back to mushy noodles.

Now for the good stuff. In a mixing bowl (or right in your Pyrex baking dish if you are like me and hate wasting clean dishes), mix up your 3 cans of soup. Plop your chicken breasts in there and turn them around to get them good and coated in the soup.



Sprinkle on the onion powder.


And give it a good sprinkling of garlic salt.

Toss in your noodles and make sure they are well coated in the soup.


Cover with tin foil and bake at 400 degrees for an hour and a half. Once it comes out, I cut the chicken down into chunks right in the dish.






Serve up with some Grand's Flaky Layers (my favorite biscuit EVER) and enjoy!!!

Amazon products mentioned in this post:



Linked up at: CornerstoneCofessions

No comments:

Post a Comment