Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Decorating Your Home on a Budget

Let's face it, we've all been there. You find a beautiful pin on Pinterest luring you with promises of budget-friendly decor, only to click on said pin and discover that this blogger's budget apparently includes every piece of furniture from Z Gallerie, perfect accessories from Ballard Design, and a thousand dollar rug from Home Decorators. While that may be the dream, the reality for this stay-at-home-mama is that while I love decorating our new home, I have to make every dollar count! That's where this blog post comes in...



You do not need to shop at expensive stores to make your home beautiful. I have found some of my favorite pieces at the cheapest of places.






7 of my favorite stores (in no particular order) for finding super cheap furniture/decor are:

1. Craigslist - Of course! Everyone has scored some great deals on furniture, but make sure you check other areas of the site you might not already (such as general, household and antiques) for great finds!
2. Goodwill - So many gems discovered in Goodwill stores! If you have multiple stores around you, or you live near to one in a big city, all the better!
3. Habitat for Humanity - My H4H recently had beautiful sofas (including a blue velvet one) for $30-$50. They also had a vintage set of bleachers that would have been awesome in a boy's room or basement sports bar for $150.
4. Ikea - If you're not shopping here, you are nuts! There truly is something for everyone, and they have adopted styles outside of just those funky modern pieces they are known for.
5. Target Clearance - I love Target, but I never buy anything full price. I just don't. With the constant rotation of what's on sale, there's no need. Frequent the store often (as if you're not already). They generally drop prices every 2 weeks on items that haven't sold.
6. Walmart, people - Lately they have added a collection of Better Homes and Gardens items that are really very nice. And last time I was there I spotted some gorgeous white faux fur pillows I need to purchase!
7. HM.Com - They are known for their incredibly priced and stylish clothing, but have you SEEN the home store online? Go! NOW!


A lot of times when you shop cheap, you need to think outside of the box or use a little elbow grease, but the savings are so worth it. A few examples in my home:


My daughter's bedside table was purchased from Shopko (a local department store) on clearance for $11.89 down from $129.99 (are they crazy?). It was black and rustic-looking, with some faux distressing on the edges. Too contemporary for me. A couple coats of white glossy spray paint fixed this table right up. I also spray painted this beautiful bed my mother got at a garage sale a metallic gold for some glam. The fluffy white comforter was a Target clearance item for under $20.


My faux cherry blossom tree was $6.99 at Goodwill, and the clock I got for free with some Kohl's cash we earned on purchases we actually needed.


Don't pay a ton of money for art, either. This mirrored frame was clearanced at TJ Maxx for $11.00 and the art is from Vintage Printable.



Another clearance frame and free Vintage Printable art, and a $14.99 marquee light from Old Time Pottery. If you have one any where near you, you need to check it out!


Use your own art! I painted this lion for my son's room, the 'G' was a $4.00 Shopko special that I sprayed gold, and that awesome little black and gold frame was a Goodwill treasure.



Evidence that Walmart does have pretty things: these two mirrored frames I got for $12.00 each. That cute boy's face I made for free. Teehee.



Collecting little things on a tray makes a bigger statement, like this $2.00 art deco glass container from Hobby Lobby and this beautiful necklace. The tray was free with a cosmetic purchase.



When we were forced to re-do our shower because of cracked and leaking tile, we saved money on this gorgeous Pulse shower head from the Amazon Warehouse.



Books = interactive decor. Everything here was Target clearance, except for the book which was for sale for a quarter at our local library. A quarter, people!


25 cent garage sale lucite lamps with simple $4.00 Walmart shades flank our television on the fireplace mantel.


Thinking outside the box: this hamper was on sale at Babies R Us, but it actually looks better in my bedroom.


Bedroom breakdown: The lamp bases (we have one on each side) were Target clearance for under $20.00. The shades are from Shopko. Clearance $6.00. Nightstands were $150.00 a piece at Sam's Club. The headboard is from Joss and Main. I paid $375, so that's more of a stretch for me, but finding a King size headboard does run ya a bit more. Euro shams and cases are from Ikea: about $8 a piece. Quilt was $20.00 at Old Time Pottery. Leopard print comforter set was at Walmart for $50.00 (which is normally more than I'd spend on Walmart decor but come on, it's leopard print). That heavenly bedside rug was $20.00 at TJ Maxx.




More Target clearance (small frame and mirror set) and a larger Hobby Lobby frame. I save money by printing my own pictures. Pennies, I know, but they add up!


Testing the softness of the Walmart comforter.


And just generally distracting me.


So my TOP tips for budget decorating would be as follows:


1. Think outside the box - These angel wings were on clearance for $6.00 at Hot Topic. Left over from Halloween. But they fit in perfectly tucked behind my daughter's vanity mirror. Want to feel like a swan princess, anyone?


2. Use what you have - This spot was empty on my Ikea shelving system and I had no idea what else to do. Then that aha! moment came. A couple of wine bottles and glasses and this space looks for intentional. Which brings me to my next tip...




3. Collections work wonders - This set of books from Goodwill does double-duty. Not only do I want to read them, but as a collection, they make a statement on my bookshelf. I plan to pair them with a gold urchin DIY to emphasize the gold lettering on the spines.

4. Use your clothes and jewelry as accents - My daughter's dress makes a statement in this spray painted Ikea frame, and my bold necklace adds more bling to a blingy tray in the bathroom.





5. For big purchases, check the Amazon Warehouse  - Checking Amazon is generally a good idea anyways, but many of there products are available even cheaper through their open-box warehouse deals, like our Pulse Shower Spa.


Now use all that money you save on something truly valuable: worship, charity or your family!

Xoxo, Natasha

Linked up at: Real HouseMoms Simply Designing The Thrifty Home

2 comments:

  1. Craigslist is a really good one you never know what you can find on the site! It is just great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! My husband hates it when I start a converstaion with "So I was on Craigslist..." :)

      Delete